My life in the Kawa Model


The Kawa Model, is a practice model designed by Michael Iwama to help occupational therapy practitioners assist client's in analyzing their life and occupations through a bigger picture approach. The Japanese word "Kawa" translates to the word "River" in English, therefore this model uses multiple metaphors of a river to compare to concepts of someone's life. The concepts are as followed: 

  • The River Itself = Life 
  • Water = Flow of Life 
  • River Banks & Floor = Contexts//Relationships 
  • Rocks = Obstacles 
  • Driftwood = Factors/Traits/Characteristics 
  • Space in Between = Occupation/Occupational Performance
When a client is able to fill in these concepts with their own life perspectives, it can help them visualize  their barriers, their resources, their values and how they relate to their occupations. This model allows the OT to support and promote self awareness for the client, but ultimately the client's own self actualization  contributes to the problem solving. 

As you can see above, this is my demonstration of a Kawa Model. Here I put my life context into perspective. My river bank and floor are those individuals in which support me and my occupations. Within my river I have the rock barriers that make it challenging for me to go about my occupations, they are mental aspects/experiences that drain my energy when it comes to me wanting to participate in things. My driftwood, are the traits, and values within myself that give me the strength and inspiration in my occupations. The spaces in between these floating objects in my river are the occupations I engage in, the meaningful things that I do that make me who I am. :) 


Resources: 
http://kawarivermodel.blogspot.com
https://prezi.com/eijmdadrc_nc/the-kawa-model/?present=1

Comments

Popular Posts